Sunday, June 04, 2006

10 bad habits I've adopted in Japan

10.) Bowing hello, goodbye, nice to meet you, I'm sorry. It's a reflex now.
9.) Always saying "I'm sorry" even when I'm not.
8.) Sniffing. It is rude to blow your nose here. It is not rude to loudly sniff snot back into your nasal cavity. As disgusting as it is...yeah, I've caught myself doing it from time to time. You just get so used to it.
7.) Slurping noodles
6.) Talking with animated gestures/"sign language". I am incapable of saying "NO" or "I didn't" without making a giant X with my fingers or arms.
5.) the head to the side nod to convey indecision, reservation (an indirect way of saying no). This is usually accompanied by the bared teeth smile while you suck in air going, "Sheeee" while squinting your eyes in a painful expression as if someone were drilling a hole in the side of your head.
4.) saying "un" constantly insead of yeah or uh huh.
3.) inserting "maybe" into all my sentences. (Being indirect is important here)
2.) A tie between a.)taking off shoes without undoing laces, and b.) choosing to squat on the floor rather than sit on furniture.
1.) freezing at doorways and making sure shoes are okay. I did this at every room of my parents house last August. Pause at the kitchen--shoes okay, freeze at the living room--shoes still okay. I literally would freeze at every doorway in our house. It was hard to comprehend the shoes thing again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home