Frisbee



Went to the ultimate Frisbee tournament this weekend to support my friends as they dove after flying disks. I do not play team sports for a number of reasons: running after a Frisbee feels like something my dog should be doing-- not me, I can't catch and tend to duck when the disk comes my way, the Frisbee never heads in the direction I intend it to when I throw, I'm too small to block effectively, I get frustrated at the bigger people trying to block me, and if the team does poorly I feel responsible and like everyone must blame me.
To spare myself this grief, I did not join a team. I do, however,?enjoy sunshine, a good party, camping and watching other people fall in the mud, so I still attended the tournament, stocked with alcoholic treats for all and partied on the sidelines, keeping the team supplied with alcohol soaked umes and umeshu. I had a great time watching and learning the rules of the game from the sidelines. We unfortunately had a number of team injuries including a broken collar bone on Brad after he heroically dove after a disk. Our team, The Juicy Mikans, came in fifth place and our other team, The Shriveled Ume, came in 19th (there were 20 teams) YAY UME! But that was due to injuries and lack of subs. 


At the barbecue after the first day of games some people discovered they could fly down the ski hill on meat trays--one guy broke a rib when he flew into the metal fence--if you'd heard the sound it made when he collided with the fence, you'd be surprised he only broke a rib. I'm getting cautious in my old age--at 20 I would have been flying down that hill too. We camped out in tents at a campsite and woke up in a puddle of water after it poured rain all night, but it was still fun times. Yay for an onsen, convience store food (no other country's covinence store offerings can compete with the food at Japanese convenience stores) and the local laudry mat.
Drove with Hiro, Todd and Katherine, and Hiro helped Katherine and I expand our Japanese vocabulary. I now know how to say, "Please hurry, I have to pea really bad!" Very useful on long car trips. And "When I think of you, my weewee stands up" -- "Anata no koto o kangaetara, boku no chinchin ga tatte kita." You may think I'd never have the opportunity to utilize such a phrase, but I think Katherine and, I and later David, did a good job of fitting it into our conversations over the duration of the weekend. She taught us other such useful phrases which I have now forgotten. 

---
-
-
-

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home